1. Guarantees that every Californian can get insurance. Under the Governor's plan, insurers will be required to sell insurance to anyone who wants to buy it on the individual market. "Guarantee Issue" will give Californians who are currently denied coverage because of their medical history or age the ability to purchase insurance.
2. Provides coverage for all and requires that every Californian have insurance. Whether they get it through their employer, buy it on the individual market, or enroll in subsidized coverage, every Californian must carry a minimum level of insurance under the Governor's plan. This will reduce the hidden tax that insured individuals and families -- and employers who provide insurance -- now pay to cover the uninsured.
3. Increases Medi-Cal reimbursements to doctors and hospitals. The Governor's proposal significantly increases Medi-Cal reimbursements by the government to doctors and hospitals, reducing their need to shift costs onto insured individuals, families and employers.
4. Promotes balanced financing for health care. Health care reform should not come by requiring employers to pay the entire cost.
5. Rewards healthy choices and contains costs. The Governor's plan outlines a comprehensive prevention policy that encourages and rewards healthy behaviors; supports new efforts to fight chronic conditions including diabetes and obesity; reduces smoking; promotes more efficient service delivery and will help prevent medical errors.